Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Journalistic integrity slips out the backdoor


It's Wednesday, Nov. 4, 2009, and as an avid baseball fan, it's blatantly obvious what I'm doing, right?

Of course, I'm watching Game 6 of the World Series -- listening to chants of "Who's your daddy?" echoing throughout the new Yankee Stadium and into my living room. In the third inning, FOX took a moment to brief my puppy Reilly and me (and I guess the rest of its viewing audience) on the cover of today's New York Post.

The cover shows the head of Pedro Martinez, the Phillies' Game 6 starter, superimposed on the body of a baby. The headline so eloquently reads "Spank him, Yanks: Daddy to whup Pedro tonight."

Since when did members of the press become Yankee cheerleaders? Don't get me wrong, the cover is hilarious but the job of the media -- which includes sportswriters -- is to report the news, not make a mockery of it.

Players, coaches and fans should be creating the bulletin board material, not the press.

1 comment:

  1. When it gets to the World Series, members of the press seem to be a bit more relaxed about openly rooting for their team. Although, I get most of my news from shows like "The Today Show" - where it's more like a talk show anyway. (But they can get vicious!)

    ReplyDelete